We are looking for part-time, remote college counselors for high school students. We are seeking applicants who are passionate about mentoring students and preferably attend or graduated from a top 50 college.
We also prefer applicants who have a STEM background (preferably computer science, engineering, medicine) and/or have experience working in college admissions at top colleges.
Many of our students live in the San Francisco Bay Area and apply for top 40 colleges and UC colleges. We particularly have many pre-med students (interested in BS/MD programs) and aspiring computer science majors.
College Counselors (primary need) help high school students through the college admissions process. Responsibilities include creating academic and extracurricular road maps, providing college application structure and feedback, and assisting with passion discovery and early career development.
Graduate School Counselors help students through graduate school admissions process. Requires knowledge and experience in specific graduate school admissions processes such as medical school, law school, MBA programs, PhD programs, and more.
Career Counselors provide career advice to get accepted to competitive internships and jobs, including passion discovery, resume and cover letter editing, interview prep, networking tips, and more.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Keep up to date with current college admission changes
- Expect to take 3-10 students, flexible based on your schedule and bandwidth
- Advise students about extracurriculars that expand interests and may potentially present leadership opportunities.
- Help students with meaningful summer plans by applying to internships, explore competitions, research opportunities and community service options.
- Create a plan for standardized testing that includes strategies for improving scores and help decide which tests are appropriate.
- Help create college list, rate colleges for student (reach, target and safety) and offer tips for college visits.
- Guidance through the entire application process: personal statement, activities, resume, recommendation letters, essay review and edits, utilizing research when necessary, reviewing entire application materials before submitting.
- Strategizing plan for early action, early decision, regular decision as well as waitlisted strategies and college choice guidance.
- Discuss financial aid resources and guidance as well as merit scholarship resources.
- Prepare for sessions in advance, be on time, log sessions in a timely manner, stay in touch with students, maintain healthy relationship with parents and include parents in all communications.
- Attend monthly team meetings.
- Utilize resources available within Empowerly to provide optimal advice for all students.
- Monitor Empowerly email account and Slack account for up-to-date Empowerly communications
- Passion for education, talent for teaching, essay writing, and essay editing
We’re Looking For:
- Top 40 college graduate (advanced degrees like MD, PhD, MBA, JD, or Masters are a plus)
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to plan around and meet deadlines
- Dedication to client service
- Commitment to stick with student for multi-year package
- Experience with the college admissions process is preferred
- Writing sample, preferably college and/or graduate school admissions essay
- List of colleges and/or graduate schools you’ve helped students get accepted to
- List of colleges and/or graduate schools you were accepted