In the oft-quoted lyrics of rock artist Alice Cooper, “School’s out for summer!” So, whether you’ve already waved goodbye to your high school campus for the year, or still have a few more days, this is for you. Make sure you go over this end-of-year checklist.
I know, I know – your vacation approaches, your homework is turned in, and the last thing you want to see is another list of tasks to complete. So, I’ll keep this short. (And for my fellow rubric-devotees, who love to know that you’ve dotted all your “i’s” and crossed all your “t’s”, I already know you’re listening.) Let’s rock and roll!
Clear the Slate
- Turn in any missing work that can still earn credit.
- Return textbooks and library books, if borrowed.
- Pay off your lunch debt or late fees – the sooner the better, to avoid further penalties.
- Clean out your locker (and/or the folders in your digital locker or portal).
- Go through your backpack (don’t let that PB&J grow legs)!
- When you start recycling your papers, remember to keep a copy of notes that might help you in the future, and papers you’re particularly proud of!
- Organize your desk and/or work-station.
- Heck, tidy up your entire bedroom for a true fresh start.
- Reflect on which teachers and mentors helped you grow this year.
- Say thanks to them with a quick note, an email, or an in-person chat.
- Update mentors you haven’t talked to in a while with your successes from the year, or summer plans.
Keep in Touch
- Trade phone numbers, social media, or emails if you want to stay in touch.
- Wish someone you don’t know well a good summer (and mean it).
- Sign yearbooks, if you have the chance!
Now, some of you will be happy to turn your back on the campus for a few months. Perhaps some will be sad to say goodbye to your friends and favorite lunch spots. No matter your attitude towards the end of the school year, this checklist will help you gain closure and prepare for the next step.
Confused about what exactly your next step will be? Unsure about how you’ll spend the summer? Empowerly can help with that! Our experts have assisted students with all kinds of life transitions. From summer activities to a stellar next year, our team can help with that. Reach out for a free consultation to learn more.