When you took math in elementary school, you learned foundational information such as your addition and subtraction facts. When you take higher level math classes, you encounter more concepts.
Just as you learned how to add and subtract, as well as memorized your math facts, you need to understand how math functions and how to solve homework problems.
One very helpful set of tools are math help sheets or cheat sheets that outline all the major concepts in a given math subject. In addition, learning strategies specific to math can really strengthen your math skills and math scores. What are some great math strategies?
1. Write out all your work: when you write out steps to solve a math problem, you see how each step works to solve the problem, see the problems as a series of steps, and spot mistakes along the way. This helps to develop math skills while you get your homework done.
2. Master key concepts rather than the process: Math is not just memorization. When you spend time learning a concept clearly, then use that concept in practice problems, you develop mathematical thinking and processing abilities.
3. Create a terms sheet and find good help sheets: When you work on math problems, it can be tough to remember all the math formulas and facts. Having a handy sheet lets you use an easy reference which saves time and builds math confidence. Take good notes, and find good study tools that give you the best success.
4. Build math skills: Math concepts are reinforced when you practice them. Interactive methods are especially helpful such as online games. When you play math games online, the responsiveness element helps build numerical fluency, sequential processing, and visual processing. This helps develop a strong math brain.
5. Work through difficult concepts until mastery: Persistence is a quality of successful students. In math, you develop persistence when you see learning as a step by step process where you can enjoy the journey, not just the result at the end. Mistakes are part of learning. Time and practice lead towards mastery.
Mathematical strength is excellent for college and in the professional world. Building strong math studying skills will pay off! Empowerly can help you in the process of preparing for and applying to college.