When it comes to higher education, there are a lot of options in the United States. So many, in fact, that some students find that the university they initially chose isn’t the right fit after all. If you find yourself in this scenario, you may wish to consider transferring to universities.
Before you make any decisions, however, it’s essential to fullyunderstand what transferring universities entails. This guide will cover what you need to know about moving universities, from navigating transfer course equivalency to transitioning to a new campus life and community.
What to consider when transferring universities
Many students consider transferring to another university during their advanced academic careers. According to NCES, a total of 1,243,471 degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled in postsecondary institutions as transfer students in the fall of 2020. So, if you’re thinking about making a change, you’re far from alone.
There are a few key things to keep in mind when you’re thinking about transferring universities. The first is course equivalency. This refers to the outcomes when comparing the courses you’ve taken at your current school with the courses offered at your new school. In other words, how many of your credits will check off boxes toward your final degree?
In addition, make sure to look into academic and enrollment policies for transfer students. Every university has different procedures for transfer students, so it’s essential to be aware of these unique quirks or deadlines before making any decisions.
Finally, you’ll need to think about the transition itself. Moving to a new university can be a big adjustment, so it’s vital to have a plan to make the transition as smooth as possible. Then, you can focus on what matters most: learning.
Things to do before you transfer
Before transferring universities, make sure to do the following:
- Research: Before choosing a school, ensure you understand their credit transfer and equivalency policies.
- Get your ducks in a row: Ensure your paperwork is in order and meeting all the transfer requirements.
- Make a plan. Once you’ve decided to transfer, it’s crucial to plan the logistics of the transition, including figuring out your housing situation and making new friends.
NPR suggests inquiring about which college programs are well-equipped to handle transfer students and which ones proactively offer assistance. It’s also a good idea to talk to your academic advisor about your plans to transfer.
Process of moving to universities
Now that you know what to consider when deciding to transfer schools, let’s look at the process.
There are a few steps you’ll need to take to ensure a successful transfer:
- Gather information: As we mentioned before, it’s essential to do your research and understand all your options before making any decisions. Look into various universities, course options, and transfer student policies.
- Request transcripts: Once you’ve decided on a new school, you’ll need to request transcripts from your current university. This requirement is necessary to ensure that your grades will be equivalent.
- Complete an application: The next step is to complete an application to your new school. It is where you’ll need to submit your transcripts and other required documents.
- Register for classes: After being accepted to your new university, it’s time to register for classes! This process will be similar to what you’re used to, but keep in mind that you may have to take some courses to fulfill the requirements at your new school.
- Make a smooth transition: The final step is to make a smooth transition to your new university. Plan on getting involved on campus, meeting new people, and adjusting to your new surroundings when you first arrive.
Don’t stress – we’ll help you transfer!
Moving to a new university can be a big decision, but if you research and plan, it can be a great way to find the right fit for your higher education needs. Follow the steps outlined in this guide to ensure a smooth transition to your new school.
If you need help transferring to universities, Empowerly is here for you. We offer college admission counseling and can help you with the process. You may also check our guide on understanding the college list if you are unsure what university to transfer to. Schedule a free consultation today to see how we can help you!