Spring weather may be unpredictable, but each day brings us just a little closer to summer. Do you know what else that means? For most students, annual summer vacation! This break from the regular school schedule allows students to relax, recharge, and allow themselves to think creatively beyond the classroom.
That sounds great; what should I do to stay busy?
Well, for those of you with no plans and weeks of potential in front of you, a high school summer program makes a lot of sense. Not only can these structured summer programs give you a sense of accomplishment and purpose… you’ll also be: learning in a unique, hands-on way; able to immerse yourself in the subject matter that interests you most; and showing colleges that you walk the walk.
Even if you aren’t sure what you want to do in college and in your career, you can still benefit from a summer program! The skills, connections, and even projects you start now are the foundation of a great education in the future.
So, let’s look at some open high school summer programs that made the top of our list:
Here we go. This is our roundup of credible summer programs from a whole range of subjects. Today, we have specialized STEM recommendations. What if you’re looking for a summer program more specifically in the arts or humanities? Don’t worry, there are plenty of those as well! Take this time to explore a different side of yourself, experiment with creative expression, and find your hidden talents.
The following are presented in no particular order.
Specialized STEM Programs:
- Take a look here for premed-specific opportunities.
- For the girls in STEM, we have a specially curated list of learning opportunities that promise a welcoming program.
- To learn about cutting-edge AI technologies like Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning, and Recommendation Engines, check out Empowerly’s AI Scholars Program!
- Not to mention, a whole host of research programs to fill out your general search if none of them fit your requirements.
Arts and Humanities:
- Juilliard’s Summer Seminars and Intensives
- Interlochen Center for the Arts’ Summer Art Camp Programs
- Boston University’s Tanglewood Institute
- Sonoma State University’s California Summer Music Program
- RISD’s Pre-Collegiate Programs
- Ithaca’s Summer College for High School Students
- Tisch’s Summer High School Programs
- Consider this roundup of business entrepreneurship-focused programs.
For those of you who are seeking something else in the humanities that you just can’t seem to find in any of these programs, try this humanities summer list from an Empowerly counselor. Or, check out….
- Empowerly’s Research Scholar Program: places students with a personal Ph.D. researcher to learn about the most recent developments in their field of interest. During their weeks-long term, students can have the opportunity to write a paper eligible for submission to a publication.
- Empowerly’s Startup Internship Program: places students in competitive, cutting edge, in-demand startups. With over 40 companies to choose from and dozens of areas of interest, students are sure to find their best match.
Note: Summer program availability is subject to change due to public health concerns. These programs were last checked on 31 March 2022.
Now, are you ready to start submitting your applications?
Summer programs that require applications are an excellent opportunity to practice how you might present yourself on your college applications. Similarly, you’ll want to put thought into your essay response(s), and which materials you submit alongside it. Proofread, of course, and consult a trusted source to review it as well.
Empowerly is great at summer program applications, and helping students discover their talents! We are a resource here to help students, so don’t be afraid to reach out and learn more about how we can help your family.